Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Poetry Project

Poetry Project


My poem is about world hunger and poverty. I used the moon as an analogy in the first stanza to explain the meaning of the rest of my poem. The other stanzas compare the lives of ourselves and the poor. A rhyme scheme is used throughout the poem to add more smooth flow to it while reading and also make it more interesting. I posted my poem on three famous poetry websites (allpoetry.com, powerpoetry.org, and poetfreak.com). My objective was to inspire people who read my poem, and allow them to gain more awareness of the issue.  I was able to get a few great comments within a day, and here are the comments. 
I also decided to post my poems around my neighborhood to spread the awareness of the issue. The first picture is the Carey Centre building, and the second one is a tree in a park. I put poems in several trees.



Later in the week, I thought of a better idea. I decided to make a donation box out of a interesting cardboard box that I had and place it in front of my poem so that people can read my poem as they pass by and donate money. 


First, I put my poem on the Totem pole, since it is a very visible place and likely for people to notice it. However, I was asked to remove it. As a result, I decided to put it by the side entrance of the theology building instead.
I was able to make total of approximately $40 which was little below the amount I have expected.  Perhaps the place I chose to put the box was not the most visible place. However, I was glad to see that a person donated a 20 dollar bill after reading my poem. I was happy to find out that my poem was read and ultimately helped the poor. It was an amazing feeling to realize how a single piece of paper can change a person's or even several people's lives. All the money will go to UNICEF after the last day of collecting on Wednesday. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home